GoodGym – help for those over 50 years
GoodGym is a voluntary organisation with volunteers who run, walk, and cycle to help local community organisations and isolated older people by doing practical tasks. Keniston is now a referral partner. If you are over 50 years and need some assistance, please contact us and we can make a request on your behalf. Please send your request to Customer Services on 01689889700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please read the criteria below before making your request to us.
GoodGym can accept the following requests for those aged 50+ via a referral
- Food shopping
- Collecting a food bank parcel
- Prescription/medication deliveries
- Tasks to facilitate hospital discharge
- Changing light bulbs & smoke alarm batteries
- Key cutting depending on landlord permissions
- Laundry collection/delivery
- Posting parcels/letters
- Electricity/gas top ups
- Gardening for safety/access/significant wellbeing reasons
- Outdoor garden painting – fences etc
- One-off dog walking
- Face to face welfare checks
- Technology support
- Furniture moving
- Furniture assembly/exercise bike assembly
- Sorting/packing belongings
- Putting rubbish in outdoor bins
- Window cleaning (ground level only or they must open inwards)
- Taking down and re-hanging curtains
- Help with decluttering
- Taking bags of clothes etc to nearby donation/charity bins
- Re-hanging a door (provided no power tools are needed)
They cannot accept:
- Anything for someone younger than age 50
- ‘Personal care’ – changing sheets, cleaning, hoovering etc.
- Taking the older person somewhere outside their home.
- Sitting service – looking after an older person while a carer/partner goes out.
- Helping the older person exercise.
- Collecting click & collect shopping deliveries.
- Electrical or plumbing work.
- Connecting ovens, washing machines etc.
- Landscape gardening.
- Removing knotweed. (this requires specialist removal)
- Indoor painting.
- Anything involving power tools (e.g electric drills)
- Feeding pets whilst people are away/in hospital or taking pets to the vet
- Anything involving driving or moving items from one location to another via vehicle.
If you want to volunteer to join GoodGym and help others, you can contact them via their website: GoodGym website
They are not an ordinary gym. They offer a way to volunteer that fits into your life easily, making it easy to commit for the long-term. Anybody can join, no matter your fitness level. All you need is a pair of trainers. You can attend as often or as little as you like. Once you’re a member they’ll do their best to help you achieve your fitness goals. They also organise social events like parties and races so that you can get to know other members in the vibrant community.
- Help make your local area a better place to live
Increase your motivation by exercising with a group
Connect with great people and projects
Make a difference to someone’s life